Entity: Aga Khan University – School of Nursing and Midwifery (SONAM), Tanzania
Position: Lecturer/Senior Instructor – School of Nursing and Midwifery, Tanzania (SONAM)
Department: Faculty-SONAM, Tanzania
Location: Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania
Chartered in 1983, Aga Khan University (AKU, www.aku.edu) is a private, autonomous and self-governing international university, with 13 teaching sites in 6 countries over three continents. An integral part of the Aga Khan Development Network (www.akdn.org), AKU provides higher education in multiple health science and social science disciplines, carries out research pertinent primarily to low- and middle-income countries and operates 7 hospitals (soon 8) and over 325 outreach clinics, all at international standards. It has almost 2,500 students and 14,000 staff. The University is both a model of academic excellence and an agent of social change. As a leading international institution dedicated to excellence and change, AKU operates on the core principles of quality, relevance, impact and access.
Since 2000, School of Nursing and Midwifery has been offering a comprehensive upgrading program for BScN, which has helped establish a strong foothold in the health education sector. In 2021, SONAM, Tanzania added the BScN program to the roster, which has proven to be a significant value addition for the midwives. SONAM is delighted to see its alumni in Tanzania emerge as change agents in their respective workplaces.
SONAM programs have been instrumental in transforming the trajectory of nursing professionals, enabling them to become not just compassionate caregivers but also strategic leaders and research advocates who tackle various cross-cutting health issues in the region. It is steadfast in its commitment to empower nurses, and it is proud to bestow them with a degree that can transform their lives for the better. SONAM focus on providing a nurturing environment that fosters personal and professional growth has made the institution a beacon of excellence in the field of nursing education.
We are seeking to appoint enthusiastic Lecturer/Senior Instructor to contribute to the provision of high-quality teaching and research in our growing School of Nursing and Midwifery in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania. The appointee will teach the students in undergraduate and postgraduate programs, research and other academic activities.
As a teacher, the appointee will be expected to be a facilitator and a mentor, who is able to impart knowledge and skills required for quality nursing practice and inculcate positive attitude to students. He/she should demonstrate abilities to engage students actively in teaching and learning and become lifelong learners and leaders in their communities. The university is therefore, seeking for an innovative and creative lecturer/Senior Instructor who will assume various responsibilities including:
- Implement the curriculum as approved by curriculum committee and regulatory authorities’ jurisdiction.
- Teach in classroom and clinical areas as assigned by the Associate Dean, SONAM-Tanzania.
- Prepare a master plan of clinical placements for students and disseminate as required.
- Monitor theoretical and clinical teaching activities.
- Provide academic support to students and colleagues. E.g., supervise and evaluate (peer-review) faculty performance as required; monitor faculty teaching and clinical hours to determine fair distribution of teaching loads.
- Compile all academic results and clinical evaluations at the end of the term, within given deadlines.
- Work with curriculum committee to improve courses based on feedback received.
- Ensure the quality of clinical learning opportunities for the various programmes (e.g., securing learning sights, preceptors etc)
- Initiate and maintain collaborations with clinical facilities.
- Actively participate in building the body of midwifery and nursing knowledge through research and publication.
- Continuously improve the quality of own practice and keep abreast of academic discipline.
- Actively participate in the management and administrative activities of the University.
- Actively contribute to the development of the nursing/midwifery profession nationally and regionally.
- Plan and/or assist with university ceremonies and functions pertaining to academic and social events.
- Orient new teachers to the programme and give necessary support and guidance.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Associate Dean, SONAM-Tanzania.
Professional skills, qualifications, and experience
- A doctorate degree (PhD) in Midwifery or related field in Reproductive, Maternal and child health
- Minimum of 3 years teaching experience as a Lecturer and 5 years and above clinical experience in midwifery/maternal and child health
- Expertise in relevant nursing/midwifery field
- A well-established record of research and publications preferably in midwifery, reproductive and maternal health
- Experience with curriculum and course development an added advantage
- Diploma or Certificate in Education or its equivalent
- Current Registration with the Nursing Regulatory Body
- Good interpersonal/communication skills
- Good understanding of computer software’s and technology and digital teaching
- Ability to teach through a variety of strategies to effectively engage students in learning
- Good organization and Counselling skills
How to Apply
If you meet the requirements of this position, please send your application package which should include an application letter and an updated CV with at least three Referees (Professional) addressed to The Hiring Manager, Aga Khan University, on firstname.lastname@example.org
Be sure to quote/reference the position title (i.e. Lecturer/Senior Instructor – SONAM, Tanzania) in the subject line of the email and application Letter.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. For further information, please visit http://www.aku.edu
Application Close: Friday 15 December 2023
Also Read :