Project Zawadi has supported over 750 students in the Nyamuswa area since its founding in 2000. From the original class of four primary students to today’s cohort of 299 active sponsored students, Project Zawadi’s core promise has not changed. Project Zawadi promises to support a student’s educational expenses for however far their hard work and determination can take them on their road to self-reliance. Depending upon the student’s goals and interests, that may be an academic, vocational, or life skills training track.
Model Farm Coordinator at Project Zawadi (PZ)
Significant Duties & Responsibilities
The successful candidate will lead all aspects required for successful design and implementation of the Model Farm initiative in each of our Model Schools and surrounding communities. The successful candidate will:
- Work with key stakeholders to develop strategies across all elements of Model Farm initiative including but not limited to definition of key objectives and milestones, identification of required human and financial resources, implementation approach, timing and elements needed to support long-term sustainability (e.g., roles and responsibilities of key stakeholders, financial model, management practices) implementation approach, and timing across all three goals.
- Develop detailed annual operating plans aligned with School development plans to support sustainable school feeding programs. Plan should be comprehensive (e.g., annual calendar, types of crops and acreage requirements, integrated pest management, farm and post-harvest management and other climate smart agriculture practices and technologies)
- Coordinating and engaging key stakeholders including local government and school leadership for mobilization of school food contribution.
- Collaborate with Agriculture and education experts to define CA curriculum, identify educational materials, and conduct meetings, and workshops on important subjects to enhance learning of good agricultural practices among students through clubs.
- Determine if it is appropriate to add trees and livestock to each school’s agricultural plans and include those in the annual plans.
- Leveraging and supporting existing farmers groups and forming new groups to facilitate spreading of CA knowledge among communities surrounding model schools for improved food security among community members and their respective schools.
- Work with key stakeholders to develop and implement processes, tools, and culture required to sustain the model farms across all three goals.
- Working with local stakeholders to identify their potentials, interests and facilitate effective engagement in implementation of projects.
- Perform additional responsibilities as assigned.
Qualifications for the Job
- Diploma or Bachelor of Science in agriculture, agronomy, Rural development, or related field or comparable work experience is required.
- Experience in design and implementation of community projects in rural areas
- Knowledge on climate smart agriculture practices including Conservation agriculture practice and mobilization of parents to contribute food for the students.
- Leadership skills and ability to influence diverse communities.
- Quality report writing skills, public meeting facilitation and programmatic evaluations.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills including financial assessment.
- Strong program design and management skills.
- Uncompromising honesty and commitment to excellence
- Professional behavior and respect for others
- Strong oral and written communication skills in both English and Swahili.
- Ability to work proactively, independently, and collaboratively.
- Comfortable with ambiguity
- Solid computer and social media skills with fluency in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
The salary range is 800,000 Tsh to 1,400,000 Tsh per month depending on education and experience.
Send an email with ONE file/doc that contains a cover letter and CV with the subject line “Model Farms Coordinator” to email@example.com. Applicant’s name should be the title of the attachment. In the cover letter explain why you want the job and describe your salary history and expectations. Deadline to apply: July 30, 2023