Location: KIGOMA, Tanzania
Final date for application: 20/08/2023
Expert in Value Chain Development / Access to Finance (m/f/x) – Tanzania
Enabel is the Belgian development agency. It implements Belgium’s governmental cooperation. The agency also works for other national and international donors. With its partners in Belgium and abroad, Enabel offers solutions to address pressing global challenges – Climate Change, Urbanisation, Human Mobility, Peace and Security, Economic and Social Inequality – and to promote Global Citizenship. With 2,000 staff, Enabel manages about 170 projects in twenty countries, in Belgium, Africa and the Middle East.
The Country Strategy for Enabel Bilateral Cooperation Program in Tanzania 2023-2027 was approved on 15th July 2022 by the Belgian Minister of Development Cooperation, with a planned duration of 5 years (2023-2027) and an overall budget of 25 million euros.
The general objective of the strategy has been defined as follows: “Young people especially young women, are empowered to thrive in a protective and gender-equal environment, to acquire education and skills, and to pursue decent work opportunities in Kigoma Region”.
The specific objective further specifies: “Girls and young women (14 to 29 years), in targeted districts of Kigoma, are empowered, access multiple conducive learning pathways and enjoy decent and green employment and entrepreneurship”.
For the period 2023-2027, Enabel developed an integrated approach fully focused on girls and young women through three results areas of the same holistic intervention as defined below:
- Result area 1 is focusing on secondary education for vulnerable youth with a special focus on girls.
- Result area 2 is dedicated to skills development and entrepreneurship, with the ambition to increase opportunities for decent employment of young people, specifically women, through skills development, entrepreneurship promotion and business development support.
- Result area 3 is focusing on supporting a protective and gender-equal environment. It will contribute to tackle the discriminatory social norms and structural barriers that girls and young women face in their family, in their community, in the educative and professional spheres, so that girls and young women benefit from the same chances to continue their education and seize increasing remunerative economic opportunities.
To get and keep more girls and boys in Kigoma in secondary education or VET-training, multiple demand-and supply-side barriers must be addressed, and investments made to address barriers that are unevenly affecting girls.
Gender-sensitive school environments consider the needs and preoccupations of girls at the age of adolescence and puberty. Hostels, a preferred solution that has been suggested by many stakeholders, do not only address the distance barrier, but they also reduce the risk of GBV on the way to/from schools and increase learning performance (because girls, in the absence of domestic duties, can invest more time in homework and study).
Women’s organisations, schools, training centres, private sector partners and Local Government have the information, knowledge and skills needed to advocate for women’s empowerment in Kigoma and provide gender responsive services.
As an Expert in Value Chain Development, you will report to the Gender Expert
- Give input for the TOR for the study on value chain development and the activities to be developed as an outcome, bringing partners together and create dynamics
- Give input for and follow-up on different studies that will be done for Value Chains
- Supervise and follow-up on equipment supply for value chain added value addition and retention
- Support to development of value chain intelligence systems
- Coordinate the multi-stakeholder dialogue and value chain governance around selected agri VC’s: identify public, private, research and civil society stakeholders and organize multi-stakeholder dia
- Facilitate peer-to-peer learning around the selected agri VC within the EAC
- Coordinate the mobilization of research and innovation actors around the identified priorities through short term research projects, technology demonstration or adaptation in the selected agri VC’s
- Support to the promotion and branding of the selected agri VC products by e.g. coordinating studies to understand consumer preferences, supporting the development of marketing and promotion plans and events, etc.
- Supporting the identification of investment priorities and opportunities for upgrading and equipping un(der)utilised existing public infrastructure in the selected agri VC’s
- Provide input on the curricula developed for the agri – related trades in the training institutes
- Provide input on the agriculture sector related activities in entrepreneurship and enterprise development activities
- logue around barriers and priority setting for research, innovation, technology adoption, skilling, business development and value chain services to develop
- Facilitate the co-creation and business development (for youth) around missing value chain services (e.g. logistics, input supply, marketing, etc.)
- Coordinating (market) studies at national or regional levels to strengthen value chain intelligence and where needed to support in the development of standards around agro ecology production practices
Expected results of the function:
- Overall responsibility of quality and relevance/coherence of deliverables of all portfolio activities in the agri-food sector, in charge of institutional relations relevant institutions for agricultural sector, in charge of making sure linkeages are created with other programs such as SASA, other BE portfolio’s in the region working on similar value chains (Uganda, Rwanda)
- Technical performance of the intervention is in accordance with national and international norms and standards;
- Quality assurance of services, learning processes and knowledge management in one’s sector or thematic area of expertise is provided;
- Partners’ capacities are enhanced contributing to the improvement of their organisation, processes and systems and of their staff’s competences;
- Timely and quality reporting is provided;
- Tanzanian National
Any specialism in the diploma:
- Master degree agricultural sciences, agro economy in context of sub-Sahara Africa
Specific competences or knowledge required:
- Proven working experience working on gender issues related to the position
- technical competencies: master in bioengineering/agronomy and minimum 5 years of experience with the technical implementation of programmes in agricultural sector in East Africa and with entrepreneurship, value chain development and enterprise development in the East Africa agri-food sector (agribusiness)
Specific competences or knowledge considered an asset:
- Agro ecology applied to selected value chains; quality management of food, andragogy and extension in agri food sector, mentorship and coaching, team management, multistakeholder approaches, gender approaches in agricultural VC, rural youth, decent work in agriculture, digital and communication skills, market intelligence
- Given that the programme has a focus on women and youth entrepreneurship, candidates with a high sensitivity regarding inclusion and women and youth entrepreneurship will have an asset
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Perfect Knowledge of Swahili
Applicants are also required to commit to the vision, mission, and values of Enabel, see for more information: Enabel
We offer you
- A fascinating and interesting job in an international environment.
- You are based in Kigoma with frequent travels within the targeted districts of the region and, on occasions, to Dar es Salaam for meetings with implementing partners.
- Type of contract and duration: Contract for Specific Period, 54 months (final contract offer is conditioned on the pending signature of this intervention)
- Estimated Start : 01/09/23
- You are employed by Enabel in the function of “Sectors & Thematics Expert”. A salary package that comprises the monthly gross salary, in accordance with our salary scales (Class 6), and more benefits such as health care insurance, 13th month, holiday allowance and if applicable reallocation allowance.
- Relevant recognized experience for the function will be valorized.
Following this recruitment procedure, a shortlist of successful applicants may be constituted which may be sourced in the next three years for similar job openings.
Every person who fulfils the conditions listed in our job advertisements may apply. Enabel is committed to equal opportunities and diversity in its workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability status or any other factor other than competence.
Are you interested?
Apply here on-line with an application letter and your updated CV, at the latest by 20th of August 2023.
Only applications that are registered here via our on-line portal will be considered.