Open Position: Assistant Livestock Manager
Office location: Ubena Zomozi, Chalinze
Date of Advert: 12/08/2023
Job Purpose: The successful candidate will assist the livestock manager in supporting the overall business of commercial livestock/feedlot in and outside the country to enable Mbogo ranches to meet its objectives.
JOB DESCRIPTION FOR ASSISTANT LIVESTOCK MANAGER
Duties and Requirements of the Employee
- To assist the livestock manager in providing overall supervision of livestock activities on the farm including but not limited to cattle and Goat sections on a day-to-day
- To assist in supervising Cattle & goat operations at all camps.
- To assist the management in the selection, sorting and planning of cattle sales operations in line with farm marketing policies.
- To assist in overseeing the grazing schedule of cattle by making follow-up of grazing areas to make sure steers and heifers are grazing in safe pasture land (free of poisonous plants and predators) including taking their counts whenever they are in after grazing.
- To assist in overseeing day-to-day cattle health and related operations including fencing and other infrastructures development at the Nyumba Moja section.
- To assist in making sure environments surrounding cattle and goat Infrastructures are always neat. Plastic materials, un arranged things shall not be entertained (a few to mention).
- Taking part in routine husbandry practices necessary for optimal performance of heifers at the Mpakani area.
- Making sure equipment are kept clean, along with ensuring and maintaining hygienic condition in paddocks and area operation.
- To assist in developing a plan for feedlot operations and steers supplementation program.
- To assist in formulating a feed section for cattle supplementation at Nyumba Moja section.
- To carry out S1 and S2 day-to-day activities eg vaccination, routine husbandry practices, stock spraying etc.
- To plan, develop and execute kids care operations in line with the overall young stock management plan.
- Supervise all activities performed by the assistant cattle & goat supervisor on a day-to-day basis.
- To work with the supervisor’s goat operation and herdsman in ensuring that small ruminants are in sound health.
- Overseeing day-to-day goat health needs and goat-related operations including parasite management, body condition evaluation hoof trimming, vaccination, deworming etc.
- Making sure equipment are kept clean, along with ensuring and maintaining hygienic condition in goat burns and area of operation.
- Overseeing the grazing schedule of goats by making follow-up of grazing areas to make sure goats are grazing in safe pasture land (Free of poisonous plants and predators) including taking their counts whenever they are in after grazing.
- To ensure effective recording, maintenance and timely reporting of goat’s management-related data, including but not limited to birth records, death records and etc.
- To make sure the environment surrounding goat infrastructure is always neat. Plastic materials and unarranged things shall not be entertained (A few to mention).
- Work with the manager of the goat operation to develop and implement a breeding plan
- Detects the oestrus cycle and breeds the goats.
- To undertake prophylaxis livestock treatment.
- To assist in developing livestock culling procedures based on health and production records.
- To prepare & implement good handling of livestock between herdsmen and security.
- Due to the nature of your work, you may be required to work outside working hours, late nights and holidays depending on various circumstances and needs of the Company.
- Any other activity assigned by the employer/livestock manager in line with livestock production.
Job Qualification and Experience
- Proven work experience in a similar role or higher of at least 3 years
- Bachelor degree in Animal Production, veterinary medicine, breeding or equivalent
- Working experience in commercial cattle and small ruminants is highly recommended
- Proficiency in MS Office applications
- Excellent communication and leadership skills
- Ability to plan, multitask and manage time effectively
- Sense of ownership and pride in personal performance and its impact on company’s
- Age Limit (Between 28-40 years)