Senior Economist ( International Recruitment) job at World Bank
Duties and Accountabilities
The selected candidate will be based in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), and will lead the exciting and diverse Poverty and Equity program in Tanzania as well as participating actively in the broader CMU engagement with a variety of counterparts. Like all members of the poverty global practice, he/she will also be expected to contribute to the global knowledge base of the practice.
The selected candidate will be expected to:
• Oversee the design and delivery of the poverty program and serve as the poverty and Equity global practice’s country focal point for the country in terms of both poverty monitoring and poverty-related policy and programmatic interactions with internal (the CMU, in particular the Program Leaders overseeing the poverty programs, and other practices within the country team) and external country-level partners.
• Engage with task teams from other practices working in the selected countries to support the operationalization of the WBG’s twin goals by identifying opportunities to enhance the poverty reduction impact of specific operations through more granular analyses using micro data.
• Mentor and guide junior members of the teams working on various poverty programs.
• Contribute to the global knowledge base of the poverty practice by participating in and contributing to the work of at least one of the four thematic lines.
We are looking for a seasoned imaginative and innovative micro-economist with a demonstrated track record of sound analytical work, excellent judgment, and experience in working closely with clients to tailor analytical and/or statistical advisory services and operations. Candidates with strong client engagement skills, demonstrated effectiveness in working collaboratively with teams from multiple practices and with prior experience of successful engagement in weak capacity contexts will be given special preferences. Prior exposure to and experience with working to narrow gender gaps, working on jobs and economic participation, and working with statistical agencies on the development and implementation of statistical strengthening plans are highly desired.
• Master’s degree (PhD preferred) in economics, public policy, statistics or other related field, with a strong quantitative background and at least eight (8) years of relevant professional experience.
Other Selection Criteria
• Program management skills and experience – someone with hands on delivery skills.
• Strong analytical skills and experience of policy influencing/engagement.
• Demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with government clients and development partners; track record in donor management and resource development.
• Strong track record of substantially contributing to reports in fields related to poverty, inequality, labor markets, economic mobility.
• Ability to operate in French is an advantage.
• Desired experience includes acting as a practitioner in developing and/or transition countries, and experience with poverty, labor, and/or gender-related operational programs (including capacity building).
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 72
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Interested and Qualified, Click here to Apply