International Institute of Tropical Agriculture
DATA COLLECTION MANAGER
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
IITA is looking for a suitably qualified person to fill the position of Data Collection Manager to support the IITA banana project based at the IITA Office, at the Nelson Mandela African Institution of Science and Technology (NMAIST) in Kijenge, Arusha.
- Plans experiments and ensures quality and accurate data is collected and uploaded into the databases.
- Interfaces with other disciplines to ensure that all breeding related data is uploaded onto the database following appropriate protocols.
- Supervises data collection staff.
- Assumes responsibilities of post-doc breeder when breeder is absent from station.
- Keeps good custody and maintenance of data collection gadgets and apps (including charges)
- Identifies and reports on needs for updating, upgrading, or replacing the data collection equipment.
- Assist with initial statistical analysis and report writing.
- Serves as first contact with those responsible for database and related programs.
Required Qualifications / Experience
- MSc in breeding, statistics or related fields preferred more than 3 years’ experience.
- Experience in experimental design and statistical analysis and has profession in using modern analytical tools.
- Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills in English.
- Demonstrated ability to write quality technical reports.
- Programing skills preferred.
- Experience in banana research is an added advantage.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, but also participate as a team member in accomplishment of duties.
- The initial contract for the position is for one year: renewable subject to performance and availability of funds.
- The duty station for the position will be IITA in Arusha.
- This is a nationally recruited position and IITA offers a competitive remuneration package.
Applications including curriculum vitae, copies of certificates, telephone number, email address, and names and addresses of two referees should be sent to the Country Representative, IITA-Tanzania, Plot No. 25, Mwenge – Coca-Cola Road, Mikocheni Industrial Area P.0. Box 34441, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania or by email to: IITA-Tanzania@cgiar.org
Applicants are requested to please indicate the reference number for the position as indicated on the heading of the announcement in your application as well as on the subject of your email if sending by email. If sending by post or hand delivery, please indicate the reference number on your application as well as on the left-hand side of your envelope.
Please note that any applications without the reference indicated will be automatically disqualified.
Two weeks from the date of advertisement appearing in the newspaper.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.